My Childhood Diaries: How My Early Journals Revealed the Truth About My Lost Toddlerhood
This article is about my diaries.
My First Diary (1977): Innocence on the Page
I kept a diary between 1977 and 1988. I had my first diary for Christmas when I was 11. This first diary, which was a Letts Schoolgirl’s Diary was small and therefore contributions were brief, being a sentence or so. My first ever entry was on Dec 26 1976: “Went to church. Had a fight with an older sister. She had the blame. Played organ and games, Mastermind and Top Form.”
This is what makes my diaries extraordinary. They were penned by a child who was totally unaware that she had been brutalised nine years before these diaries began.
My 1978 Diaries: Two Books, One Unseen Truth
My 1978 diaries
My 1979 Diary: Weather Logs and Emotional Storms
My 1979 diary
Pretty routine some might say, however, my obsession with the weather (particularly hurricanes and tornadoes) would be due to the horrors of my toddlerhood.
My 1980 Diary: The Shift to Detailed Journaling
From the 20th July 1980 onwards, my diary-keeping would become detailed. I would record the weather, what I wore, what I ate, my moods and much more. My first contribution would be:
“Sunday 20 July 1980: “I wore brown cords and a black short-sleeved woolly top. Weetabix for breakfast, pizza, new potatoes and peas for dinner. Blackberry and apple pie with cream for pud. I had cheese and tomato sandwiches for tea.”
And for the day’s events, I would write: “I got up late this morning and washed hair first thing then we sat in the veranda (a lean-to Dad built) and listened to a sister's cassettes then I went upstairs while Mazie was out at a party to record songs that I liked. I had recorded a total of 27 songs. My periods were finishing.”
I would continue to keep fastidious records in this way throughout 1980 and until 20 July 1988.
Mum noticed I was keeping a large diary, so in Christmas 1980 she got me a Dataday Appointment Diary which was A5 with a page dedicated for each day. My diary-writing continued to be very detailed. I continued to write what I wore, what I ate, the weather, my moods and the events of the day. I had left school in July 1981 and I would begin Art College in September.
My 1982 diary
For Christmas, Mum got me an even bigger diary for 1982, A4 in size, which was a pain, as it was too big for what I wanted. However, I managed to fill each page. Here, I kept records of the music charts, what I took on holidays and much more. Every day was very detailed and bizarrely would prove revealing about my vile toddlerhood. This is partly due to my artwork I had completed for my Art Diploma.

I am no longer keeping weather records or of what I ate and wore, but simply about my thoughts and events. I am no longer a church-going schoolgirl but an angry and horribly troubled teen who doesn’t understand herself. My handwriting had become scruffy with swear words and suicidal thoughts. A burning fantasy world had been haunting me for months. I would keep these thoughts to myself through shame.

I keep to a routine of going to university and painting every day in a bid to survive. How could I have believed that I was simply homesick? In April 23 1985, I would make the momentous decision to write a novel about the man I kept drawing. This novel would describe the burning fantasy world that continued to haunt me. No one but my identical twin Eve knew about it.
My 1986–1987 Diaries: Returning Home to a Dark Past
This summarizes my diaries. However, they would reveal much more than this post can show.
Relevant Posts on this Blog
Home About this blog and popular posts.
About me
Start here How I learned the truth about my past in 10 parts
Buy my books from Amazon or browse the Madeleine Watson Book Catalogue on this blog.
Themes in my workFor external sources related to this topic, visit my Further Reading page.
About me
Start here How I learned the truth about my past in 10 parts
Buy my books from Amazon or browse the Madeleine Watson Book Catalogue on this blog.
Themes in my work
Popular posts
Posts about my writing






Comments
Post a Comment