Secret Messages in my Railway Tunnel Paintings and the Tumbledown Barn
In my early twenties, I painted two landscapes — a railway tunnel and a derelict barn. Decades later, after recovering the truth about my toddlerhood, I realised these paintings contained secret messages from my subconscious.”
Clues in My Paintings Exposed My Buried Trauma
In both instances, I felt something was missing. In the case of the railway tunnel, I placed a dead tree over a gate located at the tunnel mouth. In the case of the tumbledown barn, I placed a plank over the doorway.I experienced a ‘click’ in my head after adding these elements.
During both summers, I suffered terrible depression, intrusive thoughts and disturbed nights. I was also working on a novel, The Lessons (originally titled The Upstairs Room). A burning fantasy world consumed my days fuelling my story. The central character was a thug called Aidan. I thought he was a childhood familiar.
Whilst painting at the barn, I suffered agonizing period pains for 3 months in a row. This is unusual for me. No period pain was reported whilst I was painting at the railway bridge, as I was on the pill. The pill is known to curtail period pain.
Symbols in the Landscape Unseen for Thirty Years
For 30 years, my oil paintings remained in the garage and sadly sustained some water damage. I seldom thought of them.In 2016, I discovered an uncle who lived with us in 1968 took my toddlerhood away. The full story is given in a 10-part article.
Disturbed symbols of the tunnel, bridge and gate. Taken from my book, Mirror Image Shattered.
The symbol of the tree and tunnel
The Truth About My Lost Toddlerhood behind my Paintings
See also my painting of the dead tree. Notice the branches straddling the gate. Notice also my placing of the dead tree at the mouth of the tunnel. I have provided a reconstruction of the location of the dead tree in relation to the tunnel. I often sat beneath that tunnel sketching the dead tree. A year later, I would give the same treatment to the doorway of a barn. I placed a large plank at the doorway. I believed I was simply improving the composition by breaking up the sky. I suffered crippling period pain, depression and grief throughout that summer whilst painting there.I blamed these sensations upon the wrong things. The grief was in fact due to the loss of my childhood. The period pain is due to subconscious reminders of the sensation of toddlerhood. How astonishing I would experience such symptoms of PTSD due to my creation of a trauma symbol in the landscape!
Plank at the Doorway of an old barn
Secret Messages from my Toddlerhood
On 23 November 1986, I would hang a painting of the barn door and plank in my bedroom. That night in my diary, I report of a horrid dream. I also experience a nasty sensation of falling asleep with noises in my head. At this time, I was reading Colleen McCullough’s The Thornbirds. Mary Carson’s dead body plagued with flies disturbed me. I was also tormented by the face-hugger in Aliens which I watched that summer. This is because my uncle routinely suffocated me in my bedroom before assaulting me. Certain imagery triggered me.
The devastation of this unearthing is indescribable. My life has been torn apart and the foundations of my life are destroyed. Worse, I discover that my fictional character Aidan of my novel The Lessons was in fact sourced from my uncle. My childhood familiar wore a face based upon Mum's brother. He was not a childhood familiar at all.
Once the dust settles, I dare to revisit the sites of my alfresco oil paintings.
Painting of the barn hung in my bedroom spurring troubled nights.
My Trauma Art on my Wall
What I hadn’t realized was that I had produced other oil paintings depicting innocence lost, prior to these landscape paintings. The subject matter is still life (covered in a separate article). All these paintings are like pieces to a jigsaw. In isolation they make no sense, but together, a pattern emerges.The devastation of this unearthing is indescribable. My life has been torn apart and the foundations of my life are destroyed. Worse, I discover that my fictional character Aidan of my novel The Lessons was in fact sourced from my uncle. My childhood familiar wore a face based upon Mum's brother. He was not a childhood familiar at all.
Once the dust settles, I dare to revisit the sites of my alfresco oil paintings.
Connections Between my Artwork
I didn’t know in 1985 and 1986 that my paintings were documenting a trauma I had buried since toddlerhood. Only decades later, when the memory resurfaced, did the dead tree, the plank, and the grief finally make sense.




Comments
Post a Comment