Running Away from My Broken Self by Getting Married

I graduated from City Polytechnic with an upper‑second in 1986. I almost failed due to my dire dissertation. I returned home, signed on the dole, and became housebound. The cottage was ablaze with rows, Dad was unwell again, and months of painting for a local exhibition left me exhausted. Something inside me snapped.

The catalyst was a slighting remark over my life plans, but the real cause had been building up for years. My book, Mirror Image Shattered explains: "That night, when I went to bed, I shivered. Not with cold, but fear. I pulled the covers over myself and felt my personality disintegrate. A black void surged like a vortex in my head, dragging me to childhood: intrusive thoughts, terror of the dark, the feeling of being consumed by something nameless".

I spurned the characters of my stories that had lived inside me for years. My secret novel I had toiled over for months on end felt laughable, stupid. My degree felt worthless. I imagined myself; a pathetic sad‑case stuck at home with letters after my name. I couldn’t sleep. I prayed — despite no longer being an active Christian. I prayed and lay awake all night.

Drawing of a man assaulting another man at a railway bridge Madeleine Watson
Climactic scene in my novel The Lessons when a psychopath assaults Aidan


For a few seconds, I had lost my identity. I had become like a ghost. The walls of the cottage had consumed me.

How to Become Someone Else

Next day, I got up early. I scrambled out of that bottomless pit and decided to become someone else, anyone but me. I would leave the cottage, leave the shaky foundations of my childhood, leave the fear of becoming a nobody, and start a ‘new life’.

I contacted Mark, an old boyfriend from college. He had once been infatuated with me, and I knew that he would take me back. During our courtship, the cottage had sunk into shabbiness: threadbare carpets, stale furnishings. Mum’s lack of sentiment sucked the soul out of the place.

Worse, she had taken in a young ex‑con using an alias to hide his prison record. He had free reign of the house and Dad’s car, driving without a licence. Mum saw herself as a reformer of an ex-prison-mate.

What’s got into Mum? What about her grandchildren, toddlers who visited the cottage? What about Dad’s stolen tools, the shady characters this ‘bloke’ brought home, his friends who pitched tents in the garden for weeks? I visited Nan (Mum’s mother) instead, at her sheltered housing complex. She was like another maternal figure. Nan’s death in May 1987 devastated me to the core.

Leaving home seemed the only choice I could see to emotionally survive.

Getting Marriage to Escape the Past

So, I got married.

This is where my courtship with Mark would lead.

Mark was the first person outside my family that I felt I could be myself with. But our relationship had problems. I moved into a grotty bedsit and proposed to him on our first holiday together. My motive was simple: escape. To escape myself. A wedding ring meant I was no longer a single twenty‑something consumed by the past. I was “unavailable,” protected from flirty men at pubs and the Post Office where I briefly worked, and the persistent weirdo near my bedsit. No one would notice the “thing” I carried.

Our wedding day was wet and cloudy. The reception was held in a club next to a fairground. Guests went on rides; I couldn’t in my dress. Secretly, I wanted my secret fantasy world to materialise, and one of my characters, Aidan to take me on the dodgems where my wedding dress would get wet in the rain.

Yes, my fantasy world has hijacked my wedding day: I was still struggling with my novel. The day before, I had stuffed my unfinished manuscript (I had called The Lessons) into the attic space of my bedsit.

My secret identities and the demons in my head have followed me around, into marriage. I hadn’t escaped myself at all.

Unrealised Flashbacks from Complex PTSD

My compulsion to write took a toll on married life. I spent hours in the flat trying to eke out sentences for my novel while Mark went drinking. The storyline burned in my head, but nothing transmitted to paper. I wrote and rewrote scenes until my pencils wore to nibs. When Mark returned home, I hid my work. I feared fire, flood, burglary — anything that might destroy my manuscript. I felt paranoid, delusional.

During my marriage, I suffered some of the worst intrusive thoughts of my life. Horrific images tore through my head: a fleshy stalactite lodged down a victim’s throat; an alien lifeform feeding from human stomachs; a girl in a rockpool repeatedly gouged by a jagged protrusion. These visions bore no relation to my life at all. Where do they come? I shook them off again and again, unable to speak of them to anyone.

I buried myself in my secret world, my novel. I took casual jobs so I could write. I consumed typewriter ribbons and reams of paper. I planned my time so no one would catch me writing. My obsession blinded me to the driving force.

Lost Innocence at a Young Age

By 1988, I got stuck on a scene in my novel. Aidan, the main character (who had now become my imaginary boyfriend), yields to a psychopath who lives in a derelict house.

Aidan’s teacher, Laura, tries to get him out, but he insists he belongs there. In the climax, the psychopath tells Aidan: “You have lost your innocence too long ago to chase after it, pal.”

Lost your innocence? What did that mean?

I tried crime, betrayal, drugs, family feud — nothing fit.

But long ago, I had ‘lost my innocence’. I have lost it too long ago to go chase after it. The fleshy stalactite of my intrusive thoughts symbolises the reason my innocence has been destroyed. In toddlerhood.

My novel is based on fact.

Other Articles about my Writing Episodes

Home About this blog and popular posts.
About me
Start here How I learned the truth about my past in 10 parts
Buy my books from Amazon or browse the Madeleine Watson Book Catalogue on this blog.
Themes in my work
For external sources related to this topic, visit my Further Reading page

Key Articles

Home About this blog and popular posts.
About me
Start here How I learned the truth about my past in 10 parts
Buy my books from Amazon
Themes in my work
The Lessons by Madeleine Watson
My true story about my parasitical novel, The Lessons. Click to buy.




Comments

Intro

Welcome. I’m Madeleine Watson, a writer, artist, diarist and researcher. At the age of 51, I discovered a strange man had lived in my toddlerhood home. He stole my virginity before I had awoken to the world. The year was 1968.

The purpose of this blog is to shed light upon something humanity cannot normally see: a stolen toddlerhood. This blog documents what my life has been like.

My work spans childhood trauma, PTSD, split identity, and twinhood via hard research drawn from decades of personal documentation.

If you’re new here, you can begin with the Start here page, which introduces the prologue leading to the 10‑part series ending with the moment I learned the truth about my toddlerhood. Or you can buy my books .

Thank you for reading.

Popular posts from this blog

Prologue: My Beliefs Before Discovering the Truth About My Toddlerhood

Part 1: The Day My Life Began to Change — A Mother’s Panic and a Buried Memory

The Hidden Message Behind My 1985 Railway Tunnel Paintings: 23 Aug - 18 Sep 1985

How Childhood Trauma Shaped My Behaviour as a Sunday School Teacher at Fifteen: 15 February - 1 November 1981

My Childhood Diaries: How My Early Journals Revealed the Truth About My Lost Toddlerhood

The Haunted House – A Children’s Short Story from My Early Writing

The Hidden Message Behind the Derelict Barn: 15 July – 21 September 1986

The Doll Pantomimes: How Childhood Play Revealed My Hidden Trauma

Part 3: My Twin’s Childhood Accident — The Day That Triggered a Hidden Memory

Part 2: The Novels That Exposed My Buried Trauma — How Fiction Revealed What I Couldn’t Remember