Tales from Daler Cottage – Unearthing Childhood Memories Through Old Stories

Tales from Daler Cottage is about my children’s stories written between the ages of 9 and 16. The years would have been 1975 to 1982. During this time, I was completely unaware of a terrible truth about my life. I was living in Daler Cottage, the given name of my childhood home.



In April 1985, at the age of 19, I would start a novel called The Lessons. This novel was fuelled by a fantasy world that was burning me up inside. For the next thirty years, I would struggle with this novel, oblivious to this truth about myself. The story of The Lessons is covered in my other book.

The Strange Power of Early Stories

Prior to my novel-writing phase, I was writing mysteries, poems, drawing, painting and devising plays. I kept a diary between 1977 and 1988. I went to art school between 1981 and 1986, all during complete oblivion to my past. I would continue to write and paint for many years to come. My diaries illuminate the circumstances surrounding my creations. Unknown to me, clues to this horrific truth have also leaked into my diaries like oil bubbling up through the ground.

How Childhood Writing Revealed Hidden Truths

At the age of 51, I finally learned about the troubled history I carry. And it's about my toddlerhood.
Due to the sensitive nature of this book, names and certain details have been altered in order to protect identities and I am writing under a pseudonym.

Take a look at my memoir blog through the Start Here introduction, the Themes in My Work and, or the Book Catalogue. These bring together my published books and research. You’ll also find further reading and a full list of articles covering my discoveries about, childhood trauma, innocence lost and split identity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prologue: My Beliefs Before Discovering the Truth About My Toddlerhood

Part 1: The Day My Life Began to Change — A Mother’s Panic and a Buried Memory

My Childhood Diaries: How My Early Journals Revealed the Truth About My Lost Toddlerhood

The Hidden Message Behind My 1985 Railway Tunnel Paintings: 23 Aug - 18 Sep 1985

The Hidden Message Behind the Derelict Barn: 15 July – 21 September 1986

The Haunted House – A Children’s Short Story from My Early Writing

How Childhood Trauma Shaped My Behaviour as a Sunday School Teacher at Fifteen: 15 February - 1 November 1981

The Doll Pantomimes: How Childhood Play Revealed My Hidden Trauma

Part 2: The Novels That Exposed My Buried Trauma — How Fiction Revealed What I Couldn’t Remember

Part 3: My Twin’s Childhood Accident — The Day That Triggered a Hidden Memory